Last updated: January 10, 2017 at 18:00 pm
Due to popular demand, we’ve decided to make a post outlining all of the differences between 7.1.0 and the 7.1.5 and our opinions on them. Think of this as your one stop shop for the new patch. Previous PTR changes that were reverted to their current Live numbers have not been included for clarity.
- Earth Elemental – Calls forth a Greater Earth Elemental to protect you and your allies for 15 sec → 1 min. Cooldown 2 min → 5 min.
- SE&L notes: Still useless.
- Earth Shock – Instantly shocks the target with concussive force, causing up to (800% → 920% of Spell power) Nature damage based on Maelstrom spent.
- SE&L notes: Tooltip update.
- Earthquake – Causes the earth within 8 yards of the target location to tremble and break, dealing 300% Spell Power Physical damage over 10 → 6 sec and sometimes knocking down enemies.
- SE&L notes: This is a great quality of life change. You now deal the same damage in less time, reducing the DPS loss of tanks pulling mobs out of Earthquake‘s effect..
- Frost Shock – Chills the target with frost, causing (56% → 64.4% of Spell power) Frost damage and reducing the target’s movement speed by 50% for 5 sec. Maelstrom increases damage and duration up to 100%.
- SE&L notes: Tooltip update.
- Lava Burst – Hurls molten lava at the target, dealing (220% → 275% of Spell power) Fire damage. Lava Burst will always critically strike if the target is affected by Flame Shock. Generates 12 Maelstrom.
- Mastery: Elemental Overload – Your Lightning Bolt, Chain Lightning, and Lava Burst casts have a 18% chance to trigger a second cast on the same target for 75% of normal damage and Maelstrom generation 75% of normal Maelstrom generation.
- SE&L notes: Tooltip changed for clarity.
Talent positions have been re-arranged. These differences can be viewed below:
There have also been changes to individual talents:
- Path of Flame – Lava burst deals 5% → 10% more damage and causes Flame Shock to spread from the target to a nearby enemy.
- SE&L notes: This change, in addition to the Lava Burst buff, allows this to be taken in certain builds.
- Earthen Rage – Your damaging spells incite the earth around you to come to your aid for 6 sec, repeatedly dealing (50% → 55% of Spell Power) Nature damage to your most recently attacked enemy.
- Aftershock – Your spells refund 25% → 30% of all Maelstrom spent on them.
- Ancestral Swiftness – Increases haste by 10% → 6%.
- SE&L notes: Even with this nerf, Ancestral Swiftness still pulls ahead of the other two options in single target situations.
- Elemental Blast – Harnesses the raw power of the elements, dealing (525% → 680% of Spell power) Elemental damage and increasing your Critical Strike, Haste, or Mastery by 1200 → 2400 for 10 sec.
- SE&L notes: This is a significant buff, bringing Elemental Blast‘s damage up to a respectable level, and vastly improving the buffs obtained.
- Liquid Magma Totem – Summons a totem at the target location for 15 sec that hurls liquid magma at a random nearby target every 1 sec, dealing (80% → 110% of Spell power) Fire damage to all enemies within 8 yards.
- SE&L notes: A decent boost to our AOE/M+ damage, but we do not recommend taking this over Echo of the Elements in single target situations.
- Storm Elemental – Calls forth a Greater Storm Elemental to hurl gusts of wind that damage the Shaman’s enemies and generate Maelstrom for the Shaman for 1 min → 30 sec. Cooldown 5 min → 2.5 min.
- SE&L notes: While this may seem like a decent change, we believe it will result in a net decrease in damage due to a lower uptime of the elemental during heroism and prolonged power potions.
- Icefury – Hurls frigid ice at the target, dealing (180% → 900% of Spell power) Frost damage and causing your next 4 Frost Shocks to deal 400% increased damage. Generates 24 Maelstom.
- SE&L notes: This talent was buffed to bring it up to meet the damage of Ascendance.
Honor talent changes
- Control of Lava” – Your Lava Burst deals 100% additional damage, and generates 30 Maelstrom when it deals damage. Lava Burst damage increased by 25%. Your Flame Shock damage over time has a 10% chance to reset the remaining cooldown on Lava Burst, and increase its damage by 25%, stacking up to 3 times.
Legendary item changes
Some legendary items had their changes reverted (such as the belt and bracers), and have been excluded from this list. Up-to-date information on legendary comparison can be found at the Elemental Legendary Guide page.
- The Deceiver’s Blood Pact : Earth Shock has a 30% 15% 20% chance to refund all of the Maelstrom spent.
- SE&L notes: Significant nerf, but back up from 15% means it’s a bit less painful.
- Eye of the Twisting Nether – Damaging enemies with your Fire, Frost, or Nature abilities increases all damage you deal by
2%1.5% for 8 sec. Each element adds a separate application.
- SE&L notes: Significant nerf, but the ring remains the best legendary for DPS output..
- Sephuz’s Secret – Successfully applying a loss of control effect to an enemy, interrupting an enemy, or dispelling any target grants you 70% increased movement speed and 15% 25% Haste for 10 sec. This effect may occur once every 30 sec.
- SE&L notes: Sephuz is massively better with this change, allowing for interrupts, purges, and dispels to proc the mini-heroism effect.
- Prydaz, Xavaric’s Magnum Opus – After not taking damage for 5 sec, you Every 30 sec, gain an absorb shield for 15% 25% of your maximum health for 30 sec. This effect may occur once every 30 sec.
- SE&L notes: Prydaz gained haste as a third secondary stat and is now very valuable to have, outperforming some of the less powerful elemental DPS legendaries.
- Roots of Shaladrassil – Standing still causes you to send deep roots into the ground, healing you for 3% 4% 3% of your maximum health every 3 1 sec.
- SE&L notes: A nice boost to healing.
- New item: Uncertain Reminder – Heroism/Bloodlust effects last 75% longer on you.
- SE&L notes: A great new legendary, likely to be in the top three.
- New item: Kil’Jaeden’s Burning Wish – Launch a vortex of destruction that seeks your current enemy. When it reaches the target, it explodes, dealing a critical strike to all enemies within 10 yds for (560820 * 200 / 100) Fire damage.
- SE&L notes: A great stat stick and on-use trinket that outperforms all other trinkets but does not compare to some other legendaries.