The elemental priority is fairly straightforward — the choice of which spell to cast next is often easily made. However, buff and resource management both play a vital role in your success and, as such, are important skills to learn. This is especially apparent when using Icefury, which requires careful planning of cooldowns, buffs and Maelstrom to pull off optimally.
Select a talent to view the relevant priority:
- Cast Flame Shock if:
- It is not on the target.
- It will expire in 9 seconds or less, your Maelstrom is 20 or higher, and you have a stack of Elemental Focus.
- Cast Totem Mastery if:
- It is not active.
- You are out of its range.
- It will expire in the next 3 seconds.
- Cast Elemental Blast when available (even during Ascendance).
- Cast Icefury on cooldown if:
- You have less than 101 Maelstrom.
- You will be able to use all 4 Frost Shock charges.
- Cast Frost Shock if you have a stack of Icefury available and your Maelstrom is 20 or higher.
- Cast Earth Shock when your Maelstrom is 117 or higher (even during Ascendance).
- Cast Lightning Bolt if Power of the Maelstrom and Stormkeeper are active.
- Cast Earth Shock when your Maelstrom is 111 or higher and Lava Surge is not up.
- Cast Stormkeeper if you will be able to use all 3 charges before the buff expires.
- Cast Lava Burst when available.
- Cast Lightning Bolt.
- Cast Liquid Magma Totem on cooldown.
- Cast Elemental Mastery on cooldown, preferably lining up with every other use of Ascendance.
- Cast Flame Shock on both targets with the same considerations as single target.
- Replace Earth Shock with Earthquake, using it when your Maelstrom is 50 or higher.
- Replace Lightning Bolt with Chain Lightning, but use Lightning Bolt if you have Power of the Maelstrom.
- Make these changes, and do the single target rotation above.
- Cast Liquid Magma Totem if selected.
- Cast Elemental Blast if selected.
- Cast and maintain Flame Shock on all targets.
- Cast Earthquake.
- Cast Chain Lightning.
- Cast Lava Burst only with Lava Surge procs.
Ascendance – It can be difficult to fully capitalise on Ascendance, as it requires knowledge of fight mechanics and kill timing. You would not want to take Ascendance in an encounter where the boss would die seconds before Ascendance comes off cooldown or in an encounter where movement mechanics would result in losing a use of Ascendance over the course of the fight.
Stormkeeper – In encounters with multiple add spawns, it is often a gain to save Stormkeeper for when adds are up, both for increased DPS and for priority add burst. An example of this is Spellblade Aluriel’s Animate adds. Saving Stormkeeper to kill these helps your DPS and your raid’s overall progress in the encounter.
Fire Elemental – It is important to use Fire Elemental when you will gain the maximum benefit from it. It is recommended to use this in conjunction with your potions and heroism — even if it means holding the spell for a while (but not so long that you’d lose another use of it during the encounter).