This page serves as a hub for all advanced elemental shaman resources. For a simpler look at the spec, refer to the guide on Icy Veins (written in collaboration with us).
Table of Contents
Elemental shamans in Patch 7.2 have a strong niche in burst and sustained Area of Effect (AoE) damage, with the ability to talent into powerful single target damage options. In raids, elemental shamans excel at nuking a small number of grouped adds with Stormkeeper and Chain Lightning. In Mythic+ dungeons, elemental shamans bring unparalleled utility in Heroism/Bloodlust, Reincarnation, and Earthquake knockdowns.
The Fist of Ra-Den
Traits 0 to 35
Traits 35 and beyond
Build comparison and sims
The three main raid builds have very comparable DPS in different scenarios, with the Ascendance build shining when you are able to stand still during your Ascendance burst windows. The Icefury build lags behind in Patchwerk style encounters but handles movement much better. The Lightning Rod build reigns supreme for multi-target (Beastlord) encounters and pure Patchwerk style encounters.
Due to the small difference in DPS between builds, we recommend being comfortable with every option in order to switch freely based on what an encounter requires. There is a considerable difference in playstyle from build to build, with each excelling in different situations. As of The Nighthold’s release, we do not recommend dedicating yourself to a single build. Instead, it is wise to learn all three playstyles and change talents based on encounters.
We recommend using the Ascendance build if:
- Prefer a simpler rotation
- The encounter allows for multi-dotting
- The encounter has a well-defined burst phase (Cenarius, Ilg’ynoth)
We recommend using the Icefury build if:
- You enjoy complex, challenging rotations
- The encounter involves a lot of movement
- The encounter has short-lived adds that must be bursted down quickly (Ursoc, Odyn)
We recommend using the Lightning Rod build if:
- You enjoyed Elemental in 7.1.0 and don’t want too much change
- You value ease of rotational play
- You have an opportunity for multiple Lightning Rods and cleave
- March 25 – updated simulations and most of the writing to reflect patch 7.2’s changes.
- Feb 18 – updated simulations to use the T19M_NH set.