ICEFURY BUILD question

Homepage Forums Elemental Specific ICEFURY BUILD question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  shammamain 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello,
    First of all i really appreciate all the work you guys are doing. Big thank you !

Now my question, i noticed in the icefury for the opener rotation that Lava burst gets cast and then Flame shock. But isn’t that a dps loss or is there a specific reason ?

Rotation from the page ;D
    In combat
    Cast Lava Burst immediately upon entering combat
    Cast Flame Shock
    Cast Icefury
    Cast Stormkeeper
    Cast Lava Burst
    Cast Lightning Bolt x 3
    Cast Elemental Blast
    Cast Frost Shock x 4
    Continue with your normal priority

A change in 7.0 iirc; Blizzard made Lava Burst’s crit calculator work on hit rather than cast.

So if you apply Flame Shock while Lava Burst is in midair, and it’s active when it lands on the target, it counts as if it had been there before you casted Lava Burst, previously — meaning Lava Burst is a guaranteed crit.

(And the opposite is also true, with Flame Shock falling off before Lava Burst hits; it isn’t a *guaranteed* crit.)

A change in 7.0 iirc; Blizzard made Lava Burst’s crit calculator work on hit rather than cast.

So if you apply Flame Shock while Lava Burst is in midair, and it’s active when it lands on the target, it counts as if it had been there before you casted Lava Burst, previously — meaning Lava Burst is a guaranteed crit.

(And the opposite is also true, with Flame Shock falling off before Lava Burst hits; it isn’t a *guaranteed* crit.)

This is not true. Lava Burst’s damage is calculated on cast. We found that the increased Maelstrom Flame Shock made the opener a bit easier to handle, so the damage loss if Lava Burst doesn’t crit is negligible.

Max

What’s the reason for casting EB after the 3 x LB, rather than casting EB first so that the LBs benefit from the EB buff?

I think the assumption and I may be wrong is you should have everything else before that point casted before the prepull EB.

Firstly, are you using echo? Because if you are then I didn’t see you weave the extra Lava Burst in the opener.

Next, with the way EB works, keep in mind that the proc buffs different abilities in different ways. If you prob mastery then mastery will buff mastery, so you would try to pump in more of your generators during that opener. So lava burst procs because a little bit more valuable than normal. If you get crit then trying to weave in Frost Shocks during that time might be more beneficial. If you get haste then, again, using your hard casts might be more beneficial. For me the thing with IF working with EB is that the rotation at the pull is a bit more dynamic and needs to be practiced a lot. With Ascendance build its a bit more straight forward. No matter what buff you get from EB, you are still going to be casting the exact same ability at every moment. With IF, the first 10 seconds of your rotation can change. Having said that, I would probably cast stormkeeper just after the EB buff falls off and before you use it the 2nd time. The cast of stormkeeper itself doesn’t get any direct buff from EB other than maybe haste, but even then it is pretty insignificant.

Having said all of that, if you are looking for a cookie cutter opener than Ascendance is pretty cookie cutter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.